Southside Initiative Community Plan HemisFair Park Area Master Plan Appendix Appendix A Site Inventory HemisFair Park Area Master Plan Appendix Appendix A Site Inventory The HemisFair Park Area Master Plan study area contains 24 structures, original to the site, which were designated historic by the 1972 San Antonio Historic Survey and the Texas State Historic Commission Survey. In addition, these same 24 buildings plus a few of the original HemisFair struc- tures were designated as historically significant (HS) and/or historically exceptional (HE ) by the San Antonio City Council under Ordinance No. 64539 and 64540 on February 12, 1987.
In addition, there were buildings constructed for the HemisFair exposition, that were also included in the historic designations. There were also a few structures built for HemisFair as temporary structures, yet they still exist on the site today. Lastly, there have been several additional structures placed on the site post-HemisFair, generally, independent of any cohesive, long term planning scenarios.
The HemisFair Park Area Master Plan structures include the following: DESIGNATED STRUCTURES ORIGINAL TO HEMISFAIR SITE (City owned ): PEREIDA HOUSE - (HS) R.M. Pereida constructed this cT d shaped house with stucco lime- stone walls on land purchased from Robert and Sarah Eager ... more. less.
about 1883. It is believed to be the first limecrete house in San Antonio.<br><br> Currently used as the City 9s Parks & Rec- reation Department Operations Administrative Office, during HemisFair is was dubbed the Ireland House, ca typical Dublin coffee house vending Gaelic charm, oatmeal, tweeds, and belleek and emblems of family heraldry d EAGER DEPENDENCY - (HS) This small limestone structure built about 1870 behind the Eager House probably served as a kitchen, and is currently used as a public restroom facility. EAGER HOUSE aka Sarah Riddle Eager House - (HE) William Riddle built this excellent example of a San Antonio house in 1866 as a wedding gift for his daughter, Sarah when she married Robert Eager, an artist from Halifax, Nova Scotia. Currently, used by the Women 9s Chamber of Commerce as an administrative office and training facility, it housed the Southern Baptist Exhibit during HemisFair.<br><br> HERMANN CARRIAGE HOUSE - ( HS) Believed to be the design of John Riddle, it is a fine example of a typical San Antonio residence in the 1840s. It was sold in 1857 to Sam Smith, early alderman and mayor of San Antonio. Originally located behind the Acosta/Halff house, this frame structure was moved to accommodate the HemisFair expo- sition.<br><br> Although currently vacant, it was home to the HemisFair eatery Creperies Parisi- enne, can elegant little French restaurant. c BEETHOVEN HALL - (HE) The present structure was built in 1913 after the original, built in 1895, was destroyed by fire. Constructed by the Beethoven Mannerchor, a German singing society founded in 1867, the Hall was the site of the first symphony performed in San Antonio. It was known as the Laterna Magika during HemisFair, and is currently leased to the Magik Children 9s Theatre.<br><br> ACOSTA/HALFF HOUSE - (HE) Dubbed the Acosta house in reference to Vicente Acosta, owner of the property in 1810, this house dates to about 1890. It is located on land seized during the Hidalgo movement and given to Gregorio Arciniega. In 1916, it was purchased by William Hermann and occupied by a member of his family until its sale for the HemisFair event, where it was know as Casa San Miguel.<br><br> It is currently vacant. A-1 KAMPMANN/SOLOMAN HALFF HOUSE aka Solomon Halff/Kampmann House - (HE) It is believed that this house was built in ca.1875/1878 by J.H. Kampmann, prominent early architect and builder.<br><br> Solomon Halff was the first resident of the house which is exem- plary of the Gothic Revival style of the last quarter of the 19 th century. Nathan Halff purchased the house in 1877 and in 1917, sold it to William Herrmann. Currently, the Mexican Cultural Institute uses the as cCasa Mexicana, d a building for administrative ac- tivities, art display and operation of a gift shop.<br><br> During HemisFair it served as the eat- ery, cLes Maisons Blanches. d KOEHLER HOUSE - (HS) Frank Koehler apparently bought the house from Mr. Thomas Devine after the Civil War because it cleaked. d It was probably built in 1856 by De- vine, a prominent judge, nearby the Acequia Madre, which originally irrigated fields by the Alamo. Used currently as the office for the Parks and Recreation Department Com- munity Service & Volunteer Programs, it was used as office and storage space for the San Antonio Fair Corporation during HemisFair.<br><br> ESPINOZA HOUSE - (HS) Adjacent to and very similar to the Koehler House, this structure was also constructed near the Acequia Madre. It is thought that Daniel Bottomley built the house in 1856, and in 1877, the building was sold to Ludwig Ohde. Functioning as office and storage space for the San Antonio Fair Corporation during HemisFair, it is cur- rently used as an office for the Parks and Recreation Department Community Service & Volunteer Programs.<br><br> AMAYA HOUSE - (HS) Like other cottage-style houses built in San Antonio during the 1840s, the Amaya House combines simple details with stucco limestone walls and a gable roof in the rear. Although currently vacant, it housed cPortraits in Pastels d- an artist 9s sketch studio located in the Tower Food Patio. SMITH HOUSE - (HE) This house is an example of the typical San Antonio residence dur- ing the mid-19 th century.<br><br> The home was originally built by John Riddle in the 1840s and purchased in 1857 by Sam Smith, an early mayor of the City. Later, the Cantu family owned the house, and in 1895, Luis Carvajal purchased the house. Housing the cDelta East/West d eatery during HemisFair, it is currently vacant.<br><br> SOLIS HOUSE - (HE) Dismantled and reconstructed for HemisFair on its original site, this small house of soft cut limestone was possibly a tenant or kitchen house. Nicholas Long- worth (Langworth), who bought the land in 1855, is the earliest known owner. Ernest James Solis was the last owner.<br><br> Also home to the cDelta East/West, d a charming red-roof India tea house and curio shop, it currently sits vacant. SCHULTZE STORE AND HARDWARE COMPANY BUILDING - (HE) This two-story build- ing was constructed in 1891 by Hermann Schultze, a native of Berlin, Germany, with hand-picked lumber from the first lumber yard in San Antonio, the Steves Lumber Yard. The structure features cast iron columns from Alamo Iron Works.<br><br> All tin work on the Victo- rian, metal front building was done by Schultze. The building is characteristic of a late 19 th -century, Victorian, metal front business. It is a two-story masonry building with para- pet walls and flat roof.<br><br> The first floor served as a warehouse for the stove and hard- ware business and the second floor contained rooms and apartments. The historic ad- dress for this building was 115 Goliad Street. Housing the Humble Tour Center, a tourist and travel information center with displays and film presentations during HemisFair, the Hilton Hotel restored the building for use as a conference and convention dining events center, and has leased the structure until late 2011.<br><br> JAMES SWEENEY HOUSE - (HE) This settlement-salt box house was built in about 1860 by James Sweeney, an Irish immigrant, on land purchased from Wilson I. Riddle. Mary Tynan, one of Sweeney 9s daughters, inherited the one-story house which included a metal-clad gable roof covering a five-bay porch.<br><br> Used as the eatery cPierre 9s Interlude d during HemisFair, the structure is currently vacant. Cultural and Historic Resources Appendix HemisFair Park Area Master Plan A-2 HERMAN SCHULTZE HOUSE - (HS) This is a replica of the original house that was razed in 1967 by the HemisFair Corporation. The house originally stood behind the Schultze Store.<br><br> The stone was not reused, however, the house retains the original decorative metal trim. Rectangular, and Classical Revival in style, noteworthy are its cornices and cGreek d metal columns. It is currently used by the Mexican Cultural Institute for exhibit storage and staging.<br><br> MEYER-HALFF HOUSE - (HE) Noted San Antonio architect Alfred Giles designed this house in the Gothic Revival style, the fashion of the latter 19 th century. Land records show the land was originally deeded by the Spanish government to Baron de Bastrop in 1815. Built in 1893 for Meyer (Mayer) Halff, the Halff family lived here until ca.<br><br> 1914. Serving as the location of the eatery cThe House of Sir John Falstaff, d during HemisFair, it is currently vacant. KUSCH HOUSE - (HE) John Kusch, a stonemason, is believed to have constructed this 19th century, Gothic Revival house in 1885.<br><br> Its interesting features include metal-clad gable roofs with box girders and simple, eave moldings. During HemisFair, it housed the cLa Fonda Santa Anita, d an elegant, urbane Mexican restaurant patterned after a similar restaurant in Mexico City, and is currently leased, until early 2008, to KIA International Jewelry, a jewelry and gift shop. WIETZEL HOUSE - (HS) A rectangular structure in its original state, the house features limestone stucco walls and a low-pitched metal-clad gable roof over a four-bay front porch.<br><br> Although Jacob Wietzel, a native of Alsace, is believed to have built the house, there is a possibility it was erected by Rochus Wozgsey who sold the property to Wiet- zel in 1865. Some sources state that the house could have been erected by Joseph Beck in ca. 1859 prior to his sale of the property to Wozgsey.<br><br> The structure was moved from the north HemisFair area in 1988, and currently serves as a restroom facility. OK BAR - (HS) The structure was probably once owned by Ed Beere, who operated the saloon. Later the building was owned by the Wilke family and divided into a grocery store in front and a small saloon in the rear.<br><br> Typical of saloons found in San Antonio in the 19 th century, the OK Bar features a restored brick façade and antique signage. The building was moved from its north HemisFair site in 1988, when the Convention Center was expanded, to its current location at S. Alamo St.<br><br> and Durango Blvd. The O.K. Bar was crefurbished to its heyday d and used as an eatery during HemisFair, and currently is leased by the Alamo City Chamber of Commerce.<br><br> MAXIMILLIAN SCHULTZE HOUSE (aka Longworth House) - (HS) Although Nicholas Long- worth is said to have been the original owner, the San Antonio City Directories from 1877-1893 don 9t list him as such. An 1886 drawing of San Antonio by Augustus Koch shows a vacant lot; Max Schultze is believed to have built the Gothic Revival style resi- dence about 1893. During HemisFair, it housed the Sur Le Pouce, a cSwiss bakery/ restaurant serving tasty Quiche Lorraine and other Swiss delicacies, d and currently, the structure provides office space for the Bexar County Master Gardeners DUGOSH HOUSE - Typical of the small cottage-type houses found in San Antonio in the 1850s, the house is otherwise undocumented.<br><br> The structure housed El Tipico, a tamale restaurant during HemisFair, it is currently in a state of ruin. TYNAN DEPENDENCY - (HS) Walter C. and Edward K.<br><br> Tynan, natives of Ireland, are believed to have constructed this small outbuilding in 1857 behind the Tynan House at 405 Goliad. The structure is stucco with masonry walls and a gable roof. During HemisFair it was located between the Mexican Special buñuelo house and the Don Pan Dulce eatery, however, it is currently in a state of ruin.<br><br> Southside Initiative Community Plan A-3 HemisFair Park Area Master Plan Appendix COYNE (COYONE), TYNAN, AND DUGOSH HOUSE - (HS) Representative of resi- dences in San Antonio in the 1850s, this house is designed in a rectangle with limestone masonry or, possibly, adobe walls and a broken-slope gable roof covering the front three-by gallery. Albert Dugosh is believed to have purchased the land in 1867 from Walter C. and Edward K.<br><br> Tynan. The HemisFair location of Don Pan Dulce, a cmexican restaurant/bakery offering chorizos, pan dulce and other treats, d it still offers a menu today, as the Amaya Deli & Yogurt House. RICHTER HOUSE - AKA RZEPPA HOUSE (HS) Richter is said to have run a merchandising establishment here in the 1850s.<br><br> Confeder- ate uniforms were later manufactured behind the 18 d thick walls. A double set of casement doors at either end of the front facade indicate there were originally two apartments divided by a center wall. The house also served as a retail store, an Indian trading post, and as the first Polish Catholic Church in San Antonio.<br><br> During HemisFair, it housed the Gay 90s restaurant, ca recreation in the style of the fun spots at the turn of the century, d and currently it houses the Park Police Training Facility. ACEQUIA MADRE - (HE) Constructed in the early 18th century by Franciscan friars, this primary irrigation chan- nel originally irrigated the fields by the Alamo, and flowed through the HemisFair site. The six mile long acequia, designed within the canal irrigation system of diversion dams and discharge channels, was built to provide water for the mission occupants as well as the mission fields.<br><br> DESIGNATED STRUCTURES, CONSTRUCTED FOR HEMIS-FAIR 968, (City owned): TOWER OF THE AMERICAS At the time of its construction, the Tower of Americas was the tallest observation deck in the Western Hemisphere. It is is approximately 622 feet in height. Construction of the Tower was noteworthy because of the method employed; the 1.4 mission-pound top house, containing observation decks and a restaurant, were built on the ground and then moved to the top, inch by inch with 24 steel lifting rods.<br><br> Designed by O 9Neill Ford and Associates, the tower was controversial from the begin- ning. A number of suits were filed in court to stop the construction. The City of San An- tonio eventually took over the tower construction and submitted a $5.5 million bond issue to the voters.<br><br> Approved by the voters, the opposition group continued the fight in court. Fortunately, city officials, Texas Attorney General, Crawford Martin, and offi- cers of a New York investment syndicate saved the tower and ground was broken on Feb. 10, 1967.<br><br> The Tower currently functions as a restaurant with two observation decks. DESIGNATED STRUCTURES, CONSTRUCTED FOR HEMIS-FAIR 968, (State/UTSA owned) : WOMAN 9S PAVILION The Woman 9s Pavilion at HemisFair was conceived as a representation of women 9s roles in and contributions to society in the Western Hemisphere. This reiterated the uni- fying theme for HemisFair 968 which included the confluence of civilizations in the Americas: cMan, the adventurer, explored the new untracked wilderness but it was woman, the homemaker, who civilized it d (HemisFair Guidebook, 1968) .<br><br> The Woman 9s Pavil- ion was cintended to remain for use after HemisFair& d (HemisFair Guidebook, 1968). The Appendix HemisFair Park Area Master Plan A-4 building reflected emerging architectural theories incorporating a building 9s relationship to the environment. The Stylistic influences symbolically represent the ever-changing role of women in Ameri- can society.<br><br> Brutalism sheds all pretenses of fussy detail and excessive exterior clad- ding. The building stands as a reminder of the time when women were chomemaker[s] who civilized the [Americas 9] d (HemisFair Guidebook, 1968). The growth of the woman 9s movement began in earnest after World War II when many American women had to leave the home place for the workplace.<br><br> Nationally acclaimed San Antonio architect, Cyrus Wagner, designed the building. He was also the lead architect for the development of the Riverwalk in conjunction with HemisFair 968. The Woman 9s Pavilion is an extremely rare and outstanding example of the architectural work of Cyrus Wagner.<br><br> UTSA currently uses the building for storage. THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS INSTITUTE OF TEXAN CULTURES AT SAN ANTONIO The current building was used as the Texas Pavilion during HemisFair. It currently serves as the major repository for the cultural and ethnic heritage and history of San Antonio and the state of Texas.<br><br> DESIGNATED STRUCTURES, CONSTRUCTED FOR HEMISFAIR 968, (Federal Government/GSA owned) : JOHN S. WOODS FEDERAL COURTHOUSE (UNITED STATES PAVILION, CONFLUENCE THEATER) The John S. Woods Federal Courthouse Building and the Judge Adrian Spears Training Center formed a unified structural and cohesive thematic grouping known collectively in 1968 as the United States Pavilion.<br><br> The Federal Courthouse building was individually known as the Confluence Theater Building. Both are original HemisFair Buildings. The Federal Courthouse is a 70 9 tall circular building described in 1968 as having a cclassic d design.<br><br> Based on the columns, covered arcade, expansive windows, and sculp- tural quality, this building is a textbook example of New Formalism. The New Formal- ism Style came about in the late 1960s and lasted through the 1970s. Classical Greek and Roman architecture elements such as the columns and arcade are used as reference points for New Formalism.<br><br> The angle of the base provides a visual lift to the building thereby enhancing the sculptural quality of the building. Due to modern technology, the peripteral columns are thinner then their historic counterparts. Columns and arcade pro- vide a thin support membrane located on the exterior of the building.<br><br> Known as a cbuilding of tomorrow d, in design and construction, the major portion of the building is of pre-cast processes. The exterior wall is made of pre-cast travertine, which was quar- ried in New Mexico, cut in Missouri, and cast in Dallas. Noteworthy of this process is the great effort taken in matching up the veining of the travertine.<br><br> Glass panels were cut in 19 x 18 foot panes, ½ inch thick. Designed by Marmon and Mok Associates of San An- tonio and Donald Desky Associates of New York, the approximate 100,000 square foot building was renovated by the General Services Administration in 1975 to house the federal courtroom and other federal agencies. ADRIAN SPEARS JUDICIAL TRAINING CENTER (UNITED STATES PAVILION, FEDERAL EXHIBIT HALL) The current Judge Adrian Spears Judicial Training Center was the original United States Pavilion Federal Exhibit Hall.<br><br> The approximate 8,000 square foot Exhibit building was designed by the architectural firm of Roberts, Allen & Helmke, San Antonio, in a New Formalism style. It was renovated by the General Services Administration in 1975, and currently serves as a training center for various agencies. A-5 HemisFair Park Area Master Plan Appendix FEDERAL COURTHOUSE PLAZA Serving as a connection space between the U.S.<br><br> Pavilion Confluence Theater and Federal Exhibit Hall, this plaza served as the pedestrian walkway between the two structures and contained the cMigration Courtyard, d a landscaped garden area where flowers were in constant bloom. The focal point of the shaded patio area was the sculpture of birds in flight, which symbolized the migration of people. The plaza continues to serve as the pedestrian connection between the two federal struc- tures.<br><br> Non-DESIGNATED STRUCTURES, CONSTRUCTED FOR HEMISFAIR 968, (City owned): CONVENTION CENTER 4Henry B. Gonzales Convention Center. The building was origi- nally built for HemisFair in 1968.<br><br> It was renovated in 1985, and recently underwent a six year expansion effort, which increased the exhibit hall space to 400,000 square feet. Non-Designated TEMPORARY STRUCTURES, CONSTRUCTED FOR HEMISFAIR 968, (City owned): IDM BUILDING (AKA MEXICO PAVILION; INSTITUTO DE MEXICO; MEXICAN CUL- TURAL INSTITUTE ) A 2003 substantial renovation to the west/southwest facade, which added an exterior metal cladding, eliminated much of the original building facade of the HemisFair Mexi- can Pavilion building. The $2.7M renovation of the current Instituto de Mexico expanded the building 9s galleries and exhibit spaces, and included a new state-of-the-art 200 seat theater.<br><br> The water feature and cfloating theater, d which defined the context of the original struc- ture, was removal during the renovation. Although the approximate 14,000 square foot building has not been designated, the artwork at the Mexican Pavilion was designated as a historically exceptional landmark. HEMISFAIR MINI-MONORAIL MONUMENT Three Mini-Monorail stations were originally built on the HemisFair site: one in Las Plazas del Mundo; one adjacent to the General Motors pavilion; and one opposite the Institute of Texan Cultures.<br><br> Constructed of concrete columns with steel beams, the water feature monument incorporating the concrete structural elements is the only remaining component of the HemisFair Mini-Monorail. Non-DESIGNATED, TEMPORARY STRUCTURES, CONSTRUCTED FOR HEMIFAIR 968, (State owned): GULF INSURANCE GROUP BUILDING Described in 1968 as cSpanish in flavor d, elements of the 1960s Regionalism style can also be found in the use of materials. Designed by the architectural firm of William D.<br><br> Jones & Associates, San Antonio, the structure is significately intact, as is an interior tiled fountain called the cLa fuente de reposa. d This rectangular two-story building housed an information center during HemisFair, and is currently used for UTSA storage. Appendix HemisFair Park Area Master Plan A-6 Southside Initiative Community Plan EASTMAN KODAK BUILDING Located adjacent to the Woman 9s Pavilion, the architect for the building was Wallace B. Thomas, San Antonio.<br><br> Designed in the modernism style, the building remains fairly intact, however, original building components that are missing include the ccubish d tower cap at the center The structure was built to house the HemisFair Kodak Pavilion, and is currently used for UTSA storage. POST-HEMIFAIR ADDITIONS TO SITE ( City owned) : UNAM: UNIVERSIDAD NACIONAL AUTONOMA DE MEXICO This building, designed in a 1980s Regionalism style by architects Cerna Raba & Part- ners, was constructed in 1985 at the cost of $1.8M. The original UNAM HemisFair building, which housed the University of Mexico, was demolished in order to construct the southern expansion of the Convention Center.<br><br> Currently, the teaching and cultural ex- change facility boasts a 23,000 square foot, 60 seat auditorium within the UNAM facility. TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY ENGINEERING EXTENSION SERVICE The South Central Texas Regional Training Center, which maintains a lease until 2016, serves the public and private sector employees of the San Antonio metropolitan area, South Central Texas and U.S.-Mexico border areas. The building has approximately 30,000 square feet of classroom and office space.<br><br> ORCHESTRA GAZEBO The gazebo was moved from the walkway near the HemisFair clock tower in 1988. THE DOWNTOWN ALL AROUND PLAYGROUND The playground was designed by architects Ernie Bayles and Rosemary Roukes, from the firm of Robert Leathers in Ithaca, New York. Work began on April 5, 1989 and was completed on April 9, 1989.<br><br> The playground was built entirely by volunteers with some materials and tools donated. The cost was approximately $85,000, all of which was paid for through private contributions from throughout the community. PUBLIC RESTROOMS The new construction restroom facility was renovated by the Parks and Recreation De- partment in 2002 and is located behind the Amaya Deli.<br><br> POST-HEMIFAIR ADDITIONS TO SITE ( Federal Government/GSA owned): FEDERAL OFFICE BUILDING The 163,000 square foot, multi-story federal office building was completed in the early- mid 1970s, to provide office space for several U.S. government agencies located in San Antonio. HemisFair Park Area Master Plan Appendix A-7<br><br>