Janney PTA Executive Board Meeting December 2, 2008 Present at the meeting were: Rennie Anderson, Scott Cheney, Dr. Karen Crews, Gerry Gretschel, Karen Kalat, Elizabeth Levenson, Maureen Leventhal, Sharon Masling, Jonathan McHugh, Matthew Nicholson Beer (from Audit Committee), Sczerina Perot, Dan Rosenthal, Lucy Smiles Audit Committee Report Discussion " Discussion of various credit card issues: 1) Credit card transaction fees. The PTA needs to be able to accept credit cards because of the auction ($40,000 of the auction 9s income came in through credit cards) and the Student Support Fee.
Add note re: the credit card fee on the Student Support Fee form and at the auction. 2) Some credit card companies give breaks on transaction rates to nonprofits with small volume; Dan and Gerry to look into it. 3) Capital One Mastercard.
Discussion re: Janney staff member using personal credit card for school and PTA expenses. Get a debit card for same use? (Debit cards may have limits per transaction.) Get a PTA credit card?
Transactions could be available for review online. Need insurance policy? Dan to check into these issues.
" Re: periodic reviews. Continue using committee of parents (like Audit Committee)? Or pay for a professional firm to perform audits?
" Re: ... more. less.
amount of reserve needed. The recommended $150,000 was based on the stability of the Janney community. Budget has been flat at approximately $300,000 for several years.<br><br> Approval of Minutes October meeting minutes approved with changes. Minutes from special meeting to be emailed with changes. Report on Janney 9s Wild The success of this event points to no big additional fundraiser being needed for spring.<br><br> Used book sale may take place in Spring. Discussion of how to keep in touch with businesses and people who wanted to donate items 4not money 4to Janney 9s Wild. Treasurers 9 Report " Discussion whether to send reminder letters to families paying by installment, and also families who have not sent in their forms at all.<br><br> " Line item 704, cFurniture and fixtures, d already in the red. Ann Beumel would like us to allocate another $1,500 for the year. Motion made and seconded to approve addition of $1,500.<br><br> How much does DCPS allot for furniture? Principal 9s Report " PTA has to become a DCPS vendor; paperwork needs to be completed by the PTA treasurers. " Assistant superintendent wants list of PTAs who are 501c3.<br><br> " Both staff and parents need to complete the online survey. Deadline is this Thursday. " Questions came up at the last general PTA meeting and the staff mtg re: the playground rules.<br><br> The tetherballs will be put back. " Both the primary and intermediate grades are discussing the possibility of an in-house science fair. " Discussion re: the issue of bullying that arose at the November general PTA meeting.<br><br> What should the PTA 9s role be? Offer a PTA workshop on how to help parents empower their kids to handle conflict? Discussion of the adult to student ratio on playground.<br><br> The PTA 9s role is to facilitate communication between parents and staff. Also useful may be an assembly for students to review the need for respect after a pledge comes home for parents to sign. Increase involvment of peer mediators?<br><br> Dr. Crews used to have access to free peer mediation training; possible to turn to them if DCPS training is not responsive. Add more signage with practical reminders for kids on conflict resolution?<br><br> New Business " Schedule for upcoming general meetings: February (Audit Committee report to be discussed), April, May, June. " Peter Branson memorial. Inscribed boulder to be placed between upper and lower playgrounds.<br><br> Sczerina to draft language for inscription. $2,000 for memorial was going to come from the deficit. Motion made and seconded to add $2,000 to line item 705, cJanney Outdoors. d " Audit Committee report discussion.<br><br> How and when (and whether) to cspend down d to the recommended reserve level? Subcommittee to prepare report for February general meeting. Motion made and seconded to approve the Audit Committee report.<br><br> Action Items " Dan and Gerry to look into credit card with lower transaction fees for nonprofits. " Dan to do research on PTA credit card options. Meeting adjourned.<br><br>